Four Ukrainian municipalities — Chernihiv, Ivano-Frankivsk, Myrhorod and Novohrad-Volynskyi — are cooperation partners in the Energy Efficiency in Buildings Project. They have been selected through a transparent national two-staged competition. Each city has established a permanent municipal energy efficiency unit.
With support from GIZ, each of the four municipalities will develop a municipal energy efficiency plan for the building sector with particular focus on:
- Data collection on energy use and demand in buildings
- Development of a long-term strategy, i.e., energy plan and measures for demand side management
- Development of an action plan for implementation
- Identification of financing and incentive mechanisms
- Implementation of public awareness campaigns
- Setting up a monitoring and reporting system
In addition, each city will prepare one pilot project such as the retrofitting of buildings, the establishment of a municipal advisory centre for condominium associations and private building owners, the conduct of special information campaigns or other activities. Pilot projects will be implemented during the consecutive second phase of the Project from October 2010 to 2013. Results achieved and lessons learnt will then be analysed and addressed at the national level to improve current legislation and to implement energy efficiency projects in existing and new buildings in Ukraine.